IDL 8.2.1 released!
I'm happy to announce that IDL 8.2.1 is now available for download from our website, exelisvis.com
. This maintenance release includes updates to, primarily, (New) Graphics, the widget toolkit and the Workbench.
Here's a more detailed listing of improvements:
- Added ColorBrewer color tables and a new COLORTABLE function (see last week's post)
- 'exponent' and 'scientific' tick units
- HISTOGRAM property for PLOT
- Keywords to NG routines can be abbreviated
- RELATIVE keyword for positioning annotations in a multiplot
- Specify AXIS location with strings 'left', 'right', 'top', 'bottom' and 'center'
- Can add a colorbar and a legend from the NG toolbar
- Can override the NG event handlers, providing an object
- START keyword for *INDGEN routines
- Support for Proleptic Gregorian calendar with GREG2JUL and JUL2GREG routines
- CDF library upgraded to 3.4.0
- Can write netCDF-3 (classic) files larger than 2 GB
- IDL Class Hierarchy view for viewing properties and methods of super- and subclasses
- Macros! Can make custom macros and launch them from toolbar buttons or accelerator keys
- Redo button (hi, Linda!)
I've prepared a set of programmatic examples that demonstrate most of these improvements. Please download them from here
[ZIP, ~4 MB].
Last, an editorial. Though 8.2.1 includes bug fixes (52 CRs closed), we’re also adding several new features, so it feels like more than just a maintenance release. I think this is a result of us getting better at the "release early, release often"